Phase Two: Engine Repair
Stage 1: We removed the valve covers and everything looked good. Even had clean oil in the journals like it had been run not to long ago. We then removed the intake manifold and it did not look as good with ⅛” to ¼” of sludge build up. The good news is there was no water leaks or rust. We decided to remove the oil pan and clean both the top and bottom sides of the engine knowing that there is probably a large build-up of sludge in the pan.
We pulled the heads last night and found a little rust in #8 but I think it was an open valve and it just drained into it. It cleaned up and didn’t damage the wall plus, We could only find very light wear in the cylinders and no carbon buildup so we think it was probably a bottom end ring and gasket rebuild on an engine with few miles plus, they usually stamp an oversized mark on the pistons. It’s also a 283 and we are not sure why the label has 283 stamped out and 327 added but the block is 3.875” bore, a 327 is 4.0” bore. We will probably drop the pan for inspection and check the bearing and replace the oil pump, gaskets and seals while we are at it. Heads look good but since we decided to pull the heads we will go through the engine first rebuild and then do a compression test which is kind of backwards but that rust might have damaged #8 and we can make sure oil is pumping where it needs to.
It’s a Chevy 1962 283 cast in December with a 2 bolt main bearing according to everything we have looked at. It’s confusing because 283 and 327 used the same casting number 62-67 and the only difference was the 283 has a smaller bore and thicker cylinder walls so it can be bored up to .060 over! A few sites said .120 was possible but engine bore over .060 makes it a 301 and were a favorite of drag racers in the day because they were indestructible.
The serial number stamping is 3789817.